Saturday, 5 September 2026

Teacher's Day 2026: Remembrance of Things Past

Remembrance of Things Past

 

5th September 2026 turned out to be a special day in various ways. I thought of sharing the poem (as published in my previous post on this blog) with my friends by uploading the poem on my facebook page. Among the ones to comment was Arvind Sharma, who claims to have had the misfortune (my term) of being my student at Agra College four decades ago. 

I have always considered that it is one of the greatest rewards for one in the teaching profession to be remembered and loved by his students especially those with whom he has not been in touch after they left their educational precincts. Somehow, I felt the urge to talk to him. I sent him a message on the FB post he had shared and asked if he could share his contact number. In less than a minute my phone rang. Had a lovely chat and came to learn that he had been Education Officer in Rajasthan and that his father had graced the chair of the HOD English at Govt. College, Dholpur, a town around 50 kms from Agra. 

What came as a very pleasant surprise was the following picture with a poem for me embedded in it sent on Whatsapp. I was deeply touched by his warm gesture and highly impressed by his poetic skill to transform his memories and feelings into an exquisite expression of simplicity. It is out of my thankfulness for his loving gesture that I want others to read his post rather than an act of vanity.

Thank you dear Arvind. I am happy to be clean bowled by your lovely yorker. All blessings and special love.





No comments:

Post a Comment