Monday 12 March 2012

More Comments on "Of censorship and the books that nobody reads"

Dear Dr. Ghosh
 
Thanks for the March 2012 issue of Re-Markings.
 
I fully endorse your editorial comments on Satanic Verses. In fact, my own experience with this insipid book is exactly same as yours.In 2008, I happened to borrow a copy of this book from a county library in the US and as I carried it, I felt great for having got the opportunity to read a book that made so much of news in India. But despite my best efforts to read through the book, I could not go beyond about fifty pages, for it turned out to be what you call "excruciatingly unenjoyable". Thanks to  the "absurdity of banning books that are considered unreadable," many generations of young Indian scholars have been blissfully relieved of the drudgery of reading Satanic Verses!

Best wishes.
 
Sincerely
 
J.N.Patnaik
  • Dr. Jitendra Narayan Patnaik worked as Professor of English in Ravenshaw University, Utkal University and Sanaa University, Yemen. He was Senior Fellow, Ministry of Culture, Govt. of India during 2007-2009. At present, he is UGC Emeritus Fellow, Ravenshaw University, Cuttack.

No comments:

Post a Comment